Happy for No Reason

Works for Me Wednesday
Happiness and Joy

Note: This post was started 2 1/2 years ago, yet I never finished it. Last fall I got an email from my aunt who had stumbled upon the handout I created for myself. So, I moved this post up in the drafts folder, yet still didn't complete it. Today I stumbled across a post myself - The Happiness Journal - and decided to look at my thoughts once again. These bloggers were actually motivated by a different book - "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin - yet I'm sure there are many similar thoughts and experiences shared. It's important to be happy, and not only is it important, it's possible! So here are some inspirational thoughts and scriptures that I found while reading the book "Happy for No Reason" by Marci Shimoff. Maybe they can be motivational to you as well. Searching for help and support on my journey towards joy is something that Works for Me!

Focus on Solutions -- “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.” Maya Angelou,

“Do all things without murmurings and disputings.” Philippians 2:14

"Do not murmur, my son, for it is wisdom in me that I have dealt with you after this manner. Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me. But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.” D&C 9:6-8

I love what Elder Orson F. Whitney once said: “The spirit of the gospel is optimistic; it trusts in God and looks on the bright side of things. The opposite or pessimistic spirit drags men down and away from God, looks on the dark side, murmurs, complains, and is slow to yield obedience.” We should honor the Savior’s declaration to “be of good cheer.” (Indeed, it seems to me we may be more guilty of breaking that commandment than almost any other!) Speak hopefully. Speak encouragingly, including about yourself. Try not to complain and moan incessantly. As someone once said, “Even in the golden age of civilization someone undoubtedly grumbled that everything looked too yellow.” Jeffrey R. Holland

Incline your Mind toward Joy --
“What a wonderful life I’ve had! I only wish I’d realized it sooner.” Colette, French novelist

“Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fullness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.” Psalm 16:11

“Adam fell that men might be, and men are that they might have joy.” 2 Nephi 2:25

"Joy is more than happiness. Joy is the ultimate sensation of well-being. It comes from being complete and in harmony with our Creator and his eternal laws. . . . Our Creator wants us to be happy in this life. The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that “happiness is the object and design of our existence.” The things of the earth were created for our happiness. . . . There is no lasting happiness in what we possess. Happiness and joy come from what a person is, not from what he or she possesses or appears to be. Dallin H. Oaks

Additional note: There were 21 sections in the book, which means there are 21 sections of quotes, so I'm not adding more here, but feel free to go to the link above to find the additional ones.

Comments

Louise Hiatt said…
What are you doing up at 4 am? Hope you have a happy day!