A Memorable Christmas Gift

Flashback Friday
Sewing Lessons

As I was trying to come up with something to "remember" for today, I came across this picture. Since my last post had to do with sewing, I figured this would be quite appropriate. When I was 10, I was given sewing lessons at Sears for Christmas. Believe it or not, that turned out to be a wonderful gift, and it's one of the few that I remember.

This picture was taken in 1974, which means I'd been sewing for a couple of years. Although right here I'm doing some embroidery, I remember making the bedspread (please tell me there's some pink in the top fabric!) and the red dress. I made a lot of other things, and maybe someday I'll make a list of everything I remember, but not now.

Now it seems as if the sewing machine is just there to gather dust, although it has been used recently to hem pants and take in shirts, and I even helped Michelle make her first dress last month. I would probably sew more if it actually saved money. When did it become just as expensive to make clothes as to buy them??

Alicia at More Than Words started a meme to share some pre-digital photos that we have sitting around in albums. Not only is it nice to remember the past , it's great way to make new friends now as well. Feel free to join in on the fun.

Comments

really.truly said…
What a neat gift. You sound like a talented sewer! Fun memories.
Anonymous said…
What a great memory!
Kathy C. said…
That's a great memory - makes me want to share a sewing memory next week - thanks for the idea. :)
I know exactly what you mean about the cost of sewing clothing now. I only find it worth doing quilts and curtains anymore - but occassionally will sew an outfit just for fun.
Tara said…
I learned the very basics of sewing but I couldn't even sew a button on now. Luckily, my mom is a great seamstress.
More Than Words said…
How awesome!!! I wish I learned to sew! My dad know how to sew, and so does my sister!

I love custom handmade items! I used to buy alot on Ebay for my littlest daughter. It did add up, but it was so worth it!

Thank you for sharing again, and have a blessed weekend!