Families can be Together Forever

Flashback Friday
Going to the Temple
Oakland California Temple
I don't have a picture for the memory that came to mind this week - the one of my mom ironing in preparation for their monthly trip to the temple** - so I'm expanding on it. I grew up in San Jose and the temple in Oakland was an hour away. According to my memory (which may not be accurate), once a month on a Friday night, Judy would come over and babysit us while my parents went to the temple. I remember having a wonderful time whenever she came. The greater lesson, though, was the example my parents set on the importance of their marriage covenant, eternal families, and temple worship.

I've mentioned previously that my parents adopted several children. Here's a picture of us in front of the courthouse just after George, Ida, and Benjamin legally became a part of our family.
George, Becky, Ida, Scott, Ben, Louise - June 1975

A couple of weeks later, on June 17, 1975, we all went to Oakland and they officially became part of our family forever. While in the temple, everyone dresses in white clothing as a symbol of purity and reverence. (Go here to find more answers to questions about temples.) I'll never forget the image of seeing my parents and brothers and sisters all dressed in white. I truly felt like royalty. Knowing I can feel that way forever is something that helps keep me going through the challenges and stresses of mortal life.
(a sealing room in the Oakland Temple - picture taken during an open house - where families are bound together on earth and in heaven - see Matthew 16:19)

**In addition to regular Sunday worship, Latter-days Saints also follow the biblical practice of worshipping in temples. The Church operates 124 (as of Nov 2007) temples throughout the world. By comparison, there are over 17,000 chapels for Sunday worship services. Latter-day Saints believe that temples are the most sacred places on earth — sanctuaries from the distractions and commotion of life. The temple is a place where the most cherished of human relationships are made eternal. Accordingly, it is only fitting and appropriate that the lives of those who worship there reflect that sacredness. Thus, unlike regular Sunday worship, to which all are invited, temple worship is set aside for Latter-day Saints who observe the basic principles of the faith. (from the LDS Church Newsroom)

I've linked to Friday Photo Flashback. It's fun to share and see other pictures from days gone by!

Comments

More Than Words said…
Becky...what a great Flashback!!!

I'm also kinda in shock because I grew up in San Jose!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you still living in the area?????
Pam said…
That is a great flashback. I can see the love your family has for each other. It is important for parents to put an emphasize on worship, isn't it?
What a sweet memory! I LOVE the knee socks and huge glasses...
Erin said…
I love the Flashback and the story and the education...thanks so much for sharing. The love you all shared is evident in your telling.