Great Grandma's Cherry Tree

Flashback Friday
Remembering Great Grandma White

General Conference is this weekend! We're all really looking forward to hearing from our prophet and apostles. My parents also loved general conference and several times took us to Utah to attend in person. We'd stay at Great Grandma White's house in Clearfield. I don't remember much about conference, but I do remember climbing her cherry tree!
Here's David in a tree. (Some cousin got up first, and Weston's right behind them.) I have no idea if it's a cherry tree or not, but it was taken at a White family reunion.
However, I did find a picture of Great Grandma White. Here she is with Weston on Thanksgiving 1983. And that day we also took a five generation picture - of five "oldest" children.
Ida Martha Smith was born 2 April 1887 in Kaysville, Utah. (I might have posted this yesterday if I had realized that earlier!!) Her parents were Arthur and Sarah Bishop Smith. She was the oldest of 11 children. On 27 September 1911 she married Thomas Lawrence White in the Salt Lake Temple. They had 8 children. Great-grandpa White died in 1965 so I really don't remember him, but Grandma lived to be 97 and I have several fond memories of her.
One of my favorite took place the Thanksgiving of my second year of college. It was too expensive and impractical to go home to California for that weekend so I went to Kaysville, Utah. My great-aunt Nellie was hosting Thanksgiving dinner and I was able to spend a couple of days with them and meet a lot of cousins. In particular, I remember Grandmother crumbling the bread for the stuffing for the turkey. She spent several hours making sure all the crumbs were just perfect!
Several months after she died (which was on 3 July 1984), we lived in Clearfield for a year. I loved to drive by her old house, even if it meant going out of the way. For some reason it helped me feel closer to her to think she had gone to the same church buildings and grocery stores and even the same post office. I don't think I ever got the courage to knock on the door and see if the cherry tree was still in the back yard though!

Comments

lrbodine said…
I have the same picture with Great Grandma White (although obviously she's holding me in it). I was only 4 when she passed away so I don't remember much of her either!