What's for Breakfast?

Flashback Friday
Breakfast with Grandma/Grandmother

Isn't it interesting the things we remember about our childhood? For some reason, this week I've been thinking about my grandparents, so I thought I should do a little "series" on some of those memories. For most of my growing up years we lived within a half hour of both sets and occasionally we would have cousin sleepovers. One of the things that made these so great was the breakfast we were served in the morning. At Grandma White's house it was Lucky Charms. And at Grandmother Beckstrand's house it was Cream of Wheat.
Neither of these were served for breakfast at home, so they were a special treat, and I loved both cereals (still do!). At home we alternated between pancakes and oatmeal and eggs, with cold cereal as our Sunday morning tradition, but even then, Mom didn't buy "sugary" cold cereal - our choice was between Cheerios, Corn Flakes or Rice Krispies.
I think this is one of my favorite memories because it epitomizes the differences between my grandmothers. They were definitely not the same in outlook or personality or temperament, yet I knew each of them loved me (and all of their family) with all of their hearts.

Comments

Karyn said…
Becky, thanks for sharing that. I so wish that I had the chance to know Grandma Beckstrand. I really don't have too many memories that really stand out from visiting San Jose. One thing I do remember is that Grandpa Beckstrand always ate standing up at his corner of the counter, and my parents would always buy us KFC!
lrbodine said…
I'm glad you share memories of Grandma White. I really don't remember her "fun" side because she always seemed to be sick and frail while I was growing up. I loved spending time with Grandpa White though and thankfully have some good memories of him!
Rennie said…
I love Lucky Charms and Cream of Wheat too!!!