The Rose Garden

Flashback Friday
Visiting the Rose Garden
Last week I shared some memories of Grandma White. This week I thought I'd share some memories of Grandmother Beckstrand. However, I got side-tracked (surprise!!!) trying to find a picture and decided to focus just on visiting the Rose Garden. I'm not sure how far away they lived from this park, but it couldn't have been more than one or two blocks, because it was an easy walk. (I found this picture of Emory Street on some realtor's page. Doesn't it look like a nice neighborhood?) And this is exactly how I remember the park: grassy walkways and curving rose beds!
With a fountain in the middle.

The park was big enough to enjoy exploring but small enough to not worry about getting lost. I don't know if it was 30 years ago, but now it's a regional park and has its own website.
I also discovered an article on its history and learned that it has its own designated neighborhood.
(As a side note, the above map also shows where I was born - O'Connor Hospital in San Jose. Because Grandmother and Grandfather were serving a mission in Australia at that time, my parents were living in their house - along with Uncle Thane and Aunt Carol and Nels. I'll have to see if I can find pictures of their actual house!)
Anyway, it was always a treat to visit Grandmother and Grandfather, but when the visit included a walk to the Rose Garden, that just made it extra special!

Comments

Delirious said…
Wow, I wonder if she knew my husband's grandmother. She lived in Arch Street, close to the rose garden. He used to go there often as a child.
Karyn said…
I loved to go to the Rose Park! I used to beg my mom or brothers to walk me down. I couldn't go alone I was pretty little. On a side note, I remember loving to explore the backyard and the summer house. The yard was pretty overgrown but they had hidden treasure that I liked to go look at. I just loved our visits there.