Green Tomato Jam

It's October and so time to figure out something new to do with blogging. Here's the test. I have a Word document I want to share for next week's FHE memory, so I read up on how to do that. You go to scribd.com and set up an account, then upload your document and it creates a new web page. Once that's done you can use the link button on Blogger to add it to your post. 

Let's see if it works -- My cousin's sister mentioned being sad that her tomato harvest for the year was over and I was reminded of this recipe for Green Tomato Jam that can use up the last of your tomatoes. We have actually tried this, both the raspberry and strawberry versions, and it's really pretty good!

2020 update: Well, this worked in 2008, but Scribd has changed it's policies since then. Here's the recipe!

Raspberry Jam from Green Tomatoes

5 cups finely chopped or pureed green tomatoes
5 cups sugar
¼ cup lemon juice
6 oz package raspberry gelatin
10 oz package frozen raspberries, optional

Mix tomatoes, sugar and lemon juice.  Boil for 5 minutes, stirring often.  If desired, stir in raspberries and boil another 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in gelatin until dissolved.  Pour into 6-8 scalded jelly jars.  Process in water bath canner for 5-10 minutes.

Variation: use strawberries instead of raspberries.

Here's a link to a similar recipe that looks even easier!

Green Tomato Jam

2 ½ cups pureed green tomatoes (about 3 medium)
2 cups sugar
1 package (3 ounces) raspberry gelatin

In a large saucepan, bring tomatoes and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Skim off any foam. Pour into jars or containers, leaving ½-inch headspace. Cool before covering with lids. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks.



Comments

Rennie said…
How would you like to teach about doing a blog for an enrichment activity? You're getting really good at this!
Belkycita said…
Green tomato jam? It truly shows that I am not mature enough for the world, I did just watch Fried green tomatoes and I thought they looked tasty...:-)
Beckstrand7 said…
That recipe looks delicious! I ought to try it. (BTW, the link sent me to the wrong place, but I did a search at scribd and found it anyway.)

I realized that was my sister you were talking about, when I clicked on the link and it took me to her blog! Fun! :) Love how this blog thing connects awesome people who wouldn't otherwise be connected!
Beckstrand7 said…
That recipe looks delicious! I ought to try it. (BTW, the link sent me to the wrong place, but I did a search at scribd and found it anyway.)

I realized that was my sister you were talking about, when I clicked on the link and it took me to her blog! Fun! :) Love how this blog thing connects awesome people who wouldn't otherwise be connected!