Scripture Study Insights week - week six

2 Nephi 15
God has done all he can. He expects to reap a good harvest (works of righteousness) from us instead of wild grapes. “Wo unto them that call evil good and good evil, that take away the righteousness of the righteous.” It doesn’t matter what others think – we should do what is pleasing to the Lord. Everyone will eventually receive their deserved reward (or punishment). Show Gratitude!

2 Nephi 16
Isaiah was counseled to preach repentance. He did, yet the people hardened their hearts. Verse 10 is written in an ironic or sarcastic tone. Sometimes our instruction just seems to make no difference, but we shouldn’t give up. We all have inner worth.

2 Nephi 17
“Refuse the evil and choose the good.”

2 Nephi 18
“When pain, tests, and trials come in life, draw near to the Savior. (See
Isa. 40:31). Healing comes in the Lord’s time and the Lord’s way; be patient. Our Savior waits for us to come to Him through our scripture study, pondering, and prayer to our Heavenly Father. Great blessings and lessons come from overcoming adversity. As we are strengthened and healed, we can then lift and strengthen others with our faith.” (Robert D. Hales) We have a choice: Christ can be our rock of foundation or a stone of stumbling. Which will it be?

2 Nephi 19
“For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still.”

2 Nephi 20 (a chiasmus)
Let the parent be the parent! God knows what he’s doing, and even if things seem unfair and unjust to us now, it will all work out in the end. We are the instruments and God is the craftsman; we should let him choose how to use us, not the other way around.

"I have a little book that I carry with me, where I record the inspiration and thoughts that I receive from the Spirit. It does not look like much, and it becomes worn out and needs to be replaced from time to time. As thoughts come to my mind, I write them down and then I try to do them. I have found that many times, as I have done something on my list, my action was the answer to someone’s prayer. There have also been those times that I didn’t do something on my list, and I have found out later that there was someone I could have helped, but I didn’t. When we receive promptings regarding God’s children, if we write down the thoughts and inspiration we receive and then obey it, God’s confidence in us increases and we are given more opportunities to be instruments in His hands. In the words of President Faust: 'You can be powerful instruments in the hands of God to help bring about this great work. … You can do something for another person that no one else ever born can do.' God treasures those who help His children." --Don R. Clarke

2 Nephi 21
Qualities of Christ-like Leadership: wisdom, understanding, knowledge, reverence, respect, righteousness, faith, kindness, meekness.

2 Nephi 22
Give praise unto God, or “Sing unto the Lord; for he hath done excellent things.” Verse 2 is a mini Chiasmus (Hebrew poetic form):
A – God is my salvation.
B – Jehovah is my strength.
A – He has become my salvation.


2 Nephi 23
God will destroy the wicked (Isaiah gives an awesome description) – yet he’s merciful to the righteous.

2 Nephi 24
Just be patient, eventually the Lord will give us rest, from sorrow, fear and bondage. At times it may seem as if Satan has all power, but he really doesn’t, and someday we’ll see his sad state and say, “Is this the man that made the earth to tremble?” Remember the meaning of Lucifer? After his rebellion, his name was changed to Perdition which means destruction.

Comments