I Scream, You Scream --

We all scream for Ice Cream! (Flashback Friday)


For some reason this morning I remembered something I hadn't thought of in years -- Thrifty ice cream cones. (Of course I didn't remember that name, but a simple search for a picture of bubblegum ice cream brought it to mind.) What I did remember, though, was going with my sister to the drug store around the corner to buy an ice cream cone for 5 cents. If we felt like splurging, we could get a double scoop for 10 cents! As I recall, my favorite flavors were chocolate mint chip and rainbow sherbet, although not on the same cone. What a fun summer-time activity!


The bubblegum flavor, which was invented around 1970, is a different memory. I was introduced to that flavor (probably not at Baskin-Robbins, since theirs is pink and I remember blue ice cream) by my Aunt Cheri. I would carefully save all the bits of gum until the ice cream was gone, and then chew them. I still don't like "chunks" in my ice cream - it's supposed to slither down your throat.


I think maybe I remembered this because of the price contrast. This week we took the family for ice cream at $4 a scoop. For our anniversary dinner two weeks ago, I chose a beautifully sumptuous and luscious Peach Melba Sundae for dessert. The only problem was I was too full from dinner to really appreciate it - scoops of both peach and raspberry ice cream with fresh raspberries and raspberry sauce smothered with whipped cream and topped with a burnt sugar garnish. It was even worth the hefty price. I wish I had taken my camera to get a picture of it. But I did find a picture of what Wayne chose - Banana Cheese Cake. Mine was bigger and prettier.

So, there you have just a few "ice cream" memories. I could probably start a whole new blog on the topic. I think it just might be my favorite dessert!

Comments

Rennie said…
I'm partly there with you on "chunks" in your ice cream. I don't like fruit in my ice cream...it can be fruit flavored but throw in a strawberry that's frozen and I'll gag every time. I do like brownie chunks, nuts, chocolate chunks and stuff like that in my ice cream though!

I think every kid saved their gum pieces from their bubblegum ice cream! Sounds kinda gross now though huh? We can't be that old though that ice cream only cost .05 cents when we were kids can we?

You can join the birthday club at Cold Stone and enjoy a free "love it" size for your birthday...at least you'll enjoy that guilt free.

Thanks for sharing...it brought back a lot of memories!
Harlene said…
I totally remember Thrifty ice cream cones. My Gramie used to take my brother and I to get them after we "dusted" her nik-naks. Such a treat!